Monday, November 5, 2007

Foggy morning and first frost

We have had a couple of very foggy mornings of late and we have also had our first frost of the season. After the frost, I cleaned up the garden and got the chicken coop goodies put on and also leaves from the front yard that we collected after raking. It was a very hard day Saturday, but well worth it. Now everything is tucked in for the winter. The coop is clean with new wood shavings in it so let the winter come, I'm ready!!! If you look really closely in the first picture, you can see our banties roosting on the gate into the pasture. They refuse to go into the coop, so on the gate they roost!!




We have a chicken in the kitchen!! Our banty hen was sitting on a nest of about 13 eggs and our dog Bonnie ran her off of it. Well, she wouldn't go back to her nest so we put the eggs in the incubator. Out of the 13 eggs, only 1 hatched out and it's not even a banty!! It's a Buff. Because it was by itself, we opted not to leave it in the brooder box in the garage, we brought it in and put it in the terrarium and it's having a ball in there. We have named it Kitch because it's the Kitchen Chicken!!


We went to the Farmer's Market yesterday after church and had a wonderful time. I just love that place. We have to travel over an hour to get there so we usually make a day out it (or at least a very long afternoon!!) Yesterday we got a 40lb box of sweet potatoes that I have already put in the cellar, 4 lbs of pure cream butter that I have already gotten divided into smaller wedges and put into the freezer, a really pretty hatbox that looks wonderful on my sofa table and a wooden sign that states "It's a Wonderful Life" that I put over the doorway from the living room into the dining room. Sam bought a huge amount of pecan praline fudge that he will divide with his cousin so we all came home happy and content. Caylon bought Lainey some lavender spray to go on her sheets at night. We all love the smell of lavender so I might be borrowing it at night to go on MY sheets!! We came home and I fixed a BIG pot of potato soup that was all gone by bedtime last night!! I had hoped to be able to eat it for supper one night when it's just Caylon and myself but it doesn't look like that is going to happen. Oh well.
Well, time to sign off and go check on Lainey-Lu!! She is snoozing away in her crib.
Til next time,
Beth







No comments: